Mark Hallock, President
Having lived in Wyoming and Pennsylvania, Mark is proud to have called south Denver home for the last 15 years, serving as Lead Pastor at Calvary Church Englewood since 2009. Mark earned his BA from Eastern University, his MDiv from Denver Seminary, and his DMin from Westminster Theological Seminary. Mark’s main ministry is to his wife, Jenna, and their two kids, Zoe and Eli. Mark’s passion is to see healthy churches reaching their communities around them for Christ. In his spare time, Mark could be found eating a burrito at Chipotle, exploring the latest music or theological book, or playing tennis or basketball.
Dan Freng, Vice President
Having served in full time ministry for over 12 years, Dan is the first lead church planting pastor sent out by Calvary Church Englewood to plant Calvary Church Littleton. Dan earned his BA from Southwest Minnesota State University and his MDiv from Denver Seminary. Dan’s main ministry is to his wife, Kelly, and their kids Noah, Jasmine, Isaac, Brian, and Shamie. Dan’s passion is reaching out to people in the community and connecting them to the local church. In his spare time, Dan could be found drinking a cup of coffee, reading, or watching, playing, or coaching sports with his kids.
Scott Iken, Secretary
Originally from the Northwest, Scott has served in full time ministry in Colorado and Wyoming for over 15 years, currently serving as Associate Pastor at Calvary Church Littleton. Scott earned his BA from Northwest Christian College. Scott’s main ministry is to his wife, Pam, and their kids Addi, Seth, Reis, and Sadie. Scott’s passion is seeing people connect to God through worship and for that to overflow into them loving the people around them. In his spare time, Scott could be found writing music, cruising around town on his scooter, or watching & playing sports with his kids.
Steve Anderson, Treasurer
Originally from the East Coast, Steve headed west to Colorado to attend seminary and has now served in ministry here for over 10 years, currently serving as Associate Pastor at Calvary Englewood. Steve earned his BS from Gordon College and his MDiv from Denver Seminary. Steve’s main ministry is to his wife Sarah, and their sons, Wadely and William. Steve’s passion is to see healthy churches working to equip people to do the work of ministry in the surrounding communities. In his spare time, Steve could be found exploring the mountains, learning about the latest technology, listening to music on his record player, or roasting, brewing, or drinking coffee.
Matt Yonan, Executive Director
Matt and his family have been a part of Calvary Church Englewood for over 5 years and during that time he has volunteered in many roles to come alongside the church in order to help make sure ministry is done well. A full time businessman, Matt’s role as volunteer is the Executive Director for the CFC, making sure that the organization is making the most of every opportunity that God gives us to join in planting & revitalizing churches. Matt’s main ministry is to his wife, Amanda, and their kids Madeline, Dixon, Abigail, Jonah, and Fitsum. In his spare time, Matt can be found fly fishing in a mountain stream.
What We Believe
Calvary Family of Churches stands in the tradition of historic evangelical confessionalism. We are aligned with the Southern Baptist Convention and Acts 29 (church planting network). The following five distinctive theological convictions serve as foundations for who we are as an organization and how we seek to carry out our mission and vision through our member churches.
1. We are passionate about Gospel centrality.
- We believe the Gospel is the good news of what God has graciously accomplished for sinners through the sinless life, sacrificial death, and bodily resurrection of His Son, our Savior, Jesus Christ, namely our forgiveness from sin and complete justification before God; this Gospel is also the foundation for our confidence in the ultimate triumph of God’s kingdom, and the consummation of His purpose for all creation in the new heavens and new earth.
- This Gospel is centered in Christ, is the foundation for the life of the Church, and is our only hope for eternal life; this Gospel is not proclaimed if Christ’s penal substitutionary death and bodily resurrection are not central to our message.
This Gospel is not only the means by which people are saved, but also the truth and power by which people are sanctified; it is the truth of the Gospel that enables us to genuinely and joyfully do what is pleasing to God and to grow in progressive conformity to the image of Christ.
- The salvation offered in this Gospel message is received by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone; no ordinance, ritual, work, or any other activity on the part of man is required in order to be saved.
- (Mark 1:1; Luke 24:46-47; John 3:16-18; Romans 1:16-17; Romans 1:18-25; 1 Corinthians 1:18-25; 2:2; 15:1-4; 2 Corinthians 4:1-6; 9:13; Galatians 1:6-9; Ephesians 1: 7-10; Colossians 1: 19-20; 2 Timothy 1:8-14; 2 Peter 3: 11-13 Jude 3-4; Revelation 21-22)
2. We enthusiastically embrace the sovereignty of God’s grace in saving sinners.
- We affirm that God chose us in Christ before the foundation of the world, not on the basis of foreseen faith but unconditionally, according to His sovereign good pleasure and will.
- We believe that through the work of the Holy Spirit, God will draw the elect to faith in His Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, graciously and effectually overcoming their stubborn resistance to the gospel so that they will most assuredly and willingly believe.
- We also believe that these, the elect of God whom He gave to the Son, will persevere in belief and godly behavior and be kept secure in their salvation by grace through faith.
- We believe that God’s sovereignty in this salvation neither diminishes the responsibility of people to believe in Christ nor marginalizes the necessity and power of prayer and evangelism, but rather reinforces and establishes them as the ordained means by which God accomplishes His ordained ends.
- (John 1:12-13; 6:37-44; 10:25-30; Acts 13:48; 16:30-31; Romans 3-4; 8:1-17,31-39; 9:1-23; 10:8-10; Ephesians 1:4-5; 2:8-10; Philippians 2:12-13; Titus 3:3-7; 1 John 1:7,9)
3. We recognize and rest upon the necessity of the empowering presence of the Holy Spirit for all of life and ministry.
- The Holy Spirit is fully God, equal with the Father and Son, whose primary ministry is to glorify the Lord Jesus Christ; He also convicts unbelievers of their need for Christ and imparts spiritual life through regeneration (the new birth).
- The Spirit permanently indwells, graciously sanctifies, lovingly leads, and empowers all who are brought to faith in Christ so that they might live in obedience to the inerrant Scriptures.
- The model for our reliance upon the Spirit and our experience of his indwelling and empowering presence is the Lord Jesus Christ himself who was filled with the Spirit and entirely dependent upon His power for the performance of miracles, the preaching of the kingdom of God, and all other dimensions of His earthly ministry.
- The Holy Spirit who indwelt and empowered Christ in like manner indwells and empowers us through spiritual gifts He has bestowed for the work of ministry and the building up of the body of Christ. We recognize that these gifts are divine provisions central to spiritual growth and effective ministry and are to be eagerly desired, faithfully developed, and lovingly exercised according to biblical guidelines.
- (Matthew 3:11; 12:28; Luke 4:1, 14; 5:17; 10:21; John 1:12-13; 3:1-15, 34; 14:12; 15:26-27; 16:7-15; Acts 2:14-21; 4:29-30; 10:38; Romans 8:9; 12:3-8; 1 Corinthians 12:7-13; 12:28-31; 14:1-33; 2 Corinthians 1:21-22; Galatians 3:1-5; Ephesians 1:13-14; 5:18)
4. We are deeply committed to the fundamental spiritual and moral equality of male and female and to men as responsible servant-leaders in the home and church.
- Both men and women are together created in the divine image and are therefore equal before God as persons, possessing the same moral dignity and value, and have equal access to God through faith in Christ. Men and women are together the recipients of spiritual gifts designed to empower them for ministry in the local church and beyond. Therefore, women are to be encouraged, equipped, and empowered to utilise their gifting in ministry, in service to the body of Christ, and through teaching in ways that are consistent with the Word of God.
- Both husbands and wives are responsible to God for spiritual nurture and vitality in the home, but God has given to the man primary responsibility to lead his wife and family in accordance with the servant-leadership and sacrificial love characterized by Jesus Christ. This principle of male headship should not be confused with, nor give any hint of, domineering control. Rather, it is to be the loving, tender and nurturing care of a godly man who is himself under the kind and gentle authority of Jesus Christ.
- The Elders/Pastors of each local church have been granted authority under the headship of Jesus Christ to provide oversight and to teach/preach the Word of God in corporate assembly for the building up of the body. The office of Elder/Pastor is restricted to men.
- (Genesis 1:26-27; 2:18; Acts 18:24-26; 1 Corinthians 11:2-16; Galatians 3:28; Ephesians 5:22-33; Colossians 3:18-19; 1 Timothy 2:11-15; 3:1-7; Titus 2:3-5; 1 Peter 3:1-7)
5. Calvary Church embraces a missionary understanding of the local church and its role as the primary means by which God chooses to establish His kingdom on earth.
- The church has a clear biblical mandate to look beyond its own community to the neighborhood, the nation, and the world as a whole; thus mission is not an optional program in the church but an essential element in the identity of the church.
- We are called to make Christ known through the Gospel and, by the power of the Holy Spirit, to bring His lordship to bear on every dimension of life.
- The primary way we fulfill this mission is through the planting of churches that plant churches, and the restarting of declining congregations, along with the training of their leaders. Our aim is that Jesus Christ would be more fully formed in each person through the ministry of those churches God enables us to plant and restart in Denver and around the world.
- We also believe we are responsible neither to retreat from our culture nor to conform to it, but with humility, through the Spirit and the truth of the Gospel, to engage it boldly as we seek its transformation and submission to the lordship of Christ.
- (Isaiah 52:7; Matthew 10:5-25; 28:18-20; Luke 4:18-19; 24:46-47; Acts 28:31; Romans 10:14-15; 2 Corinthians 10:4-5; Galatians 2:10; Ephesians 3:10; 4:11-16; 2 Timothy 4:1-5; Hebrews 10:23-25; 1 Peter 2:4-5, 9-10)
For more on our beliefs, as aligned with the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC), see the Baptist Faith & Message 2000
The Calvary Family of Churches was formed in 2015 as Calvary Englewood was in the beginning stages of planting churches around the Denver area. As the pastors and planters were meeting together and strategizing for the multiplication of churches in the Denver Metro area, God led them to form this organization. As they reviewed church planting history, as well as looked closely at the amount of finances, human resources, time and other contributions they were giving towards supporting a church plant, they realized the need for a new way to support these new church plants. At the same time, there are many churches in decline, asking for healthy churches to come alongside them to assist them in revitalization efforts, so the pastors began to pray and talk about what it would look like to come alongside to help them.
Churches that are a part of the CFC share:
- Common Family Doctrine
- Common Core Commitments: CFC churches uphold these four elements as essential elements of their ministry:
- Worship God passionately
- Connect with one another authentically
- Grow to know God deeply
- Go show and tell the gospel boldly
- Common Family Traits
- Biblical Theology
- Shepherd Leadership
- God-centered Worship
- Expositional Preaching
- Healthy Families
- Authentic Relationships
- Missional Living
- Diverse Community
- Common Family Affiliations
Planting vs. Revitalization
- Church Plants
- Calvary Churches are active in planting churches and these plants are always initiated by the elders of a sending Calvary Church and established with the intention of becoming self-sustaining in time.
- Calvary Church plants will progressively move towards maturity by becoming self-governing, self-sustaining, and self-replicating.
- Church Revitalizations/Replants
- These are opportunities in which a church comes to the understanding that they have declined to the point that they will have to soon close their doors. They are open to a complete reworking of ministry philosophy adopting the guidelines for becoming a Calvary Church.
- Calvary Church revitalizations and replants will progressively move towards maturity by building on the history of the church to become self-governing, self-sustaining, and self-replicating.
- Consultations & Resources
- There are often churches that won't become an official member of the Calvary Family of Churches, but that we strive to help in various ways. Churches and pastors are welcome to contact us for assistance, consultations & advisory help to see if the CFC can assist them in ministry in any ways. The Calvary Family of Churches also provides many books & resources for churches - contact us to find out how you can get these resources!
CFC Organizational Bylaws
Feel free to download a copy of our non-profit organizational bylaws. To see a church's bylaws, please contact that individual church.
Becoming A Member
If you or your church are interested in becoming a member of the Calvary Family of Churches, please read over our application packet and contact us to talk about next steps.
If you are interested in serving with the Calvary Family of Churches as a lead church planting pastor or lead church revitalization pastor, read more about our internships!
If you or your church would like to set up a phone call or meeting for consultation or assistance for your church, please contact us today!